DIY easy, colourful paper lanterns for Diwali | Step by Step tutorial with video
Here is a simple and fun DIY project to try with your child ahead of Diwali. These lanterns can be made with the simplest of materials and make for very pretty hanging ornaments to decorate your home.
Here is a video tutorial with detailed instructions:
- Coloured sheets
- Golden paper
- Paper puncher
Let's get started!
- Take a coloured sheet
- Fold it in half lengthwise
- Cut fringes on the folded side, 1cm apart
- Take another sheet in a contrasting colour
- Roll it into a cylinder
- Stick the overlapping edges
- Unfold the fringed sheet
- Stick top edge of cylinder to top edge of fringed sheet
- Similarly, stick the other side
- The lantern base is ready!
Now, let's decorate the lantern:
- Take the golden & coloured sheets
- Cut 2 cm strips
- Cut small fringes on them
- Stick these at the bottom of the lantern
- Stick the golden fringe on top
- Punch 2 holes on the top
- Thread a string through and make knots
Your lantern is ready to be hung up!
Do try these at home. Wish you a very happy Diwali!